My Best Friend My Best Friend

I'd say I'm surprised this is master's level. (It's not bad; but I've seen better as senior project on a BA before); but I'm guessing midterm, short time frame, other classes? It's not bad; it just seems, rushed, very little polish; more like an animatic than a finished anim.

Pico's Average Day Pico's Average Day

The clipping on the 0 and 5 voices bother me a bit. Otherwise pretty solid.

IvanAlmighty responds:

Sorry, I didn't know to reduce the volume of my mic, but thanks for the feedback

Sprocky Spittoon Sprocky Spittoon

They say that the Beatles are one of those bands so good that no one can screw up a vocal cover...congratulations, you proved them wrong.

Fire Plus Bomb Fire Plus Bomb

Interesting concept, but it seems half-baked; like the puzzles aren't polished and there isn't enough to fully predict what moves are strategically best, etc. For now, I can't vote to include this, but it's an interesting concept worth working on some more.

XYsquid responds:

Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it!

Cryogenic Cryogenic

I'm abstaining from actually rating officially, but I'll leave this comment. I can't load this game; it says my computer can't allocate enough memory to the webGL window. You really need to work on compression. If I saw your Unity asset folder I could give more detailed advice, but I'd understand if you wanted to keep your source closed.

Epic Hard Jump Epic Hard Jump

I've yet to make it far; but one comment right now.

PLEASE add:

"Screen.LockCursor = true;"

somewhere.

ColChope responds:

It's already done ! I release the next updates tomorow !
Thank you anyway !

Andross N64 VA Andross N64 VA

Good: Reminds me of Rez from Gex: Enter the Gecko (PS1). It's an interesting effect. I hear no recording noise or artifacts and the effect seems to apply well.

Bad: Either your S's (and x's) are too long or you ended up with some strange hissing in the recording, I can't tell which; but I think it's your effect not working the same on the s sound.

Also your emphasis on some of the words is a bit -too- over the top: I, DIE, NOW. Inversely some of your dialogue is almost impossible to understand because it's too quiet compared to the echoing/reverb of other words; in other words your dynamics need to be tighter.

Also, 'taking you with me' feels too fast...and nothing after that line is intelligible at all.

Overall:
I like your effects/editing but your actual voice work, pacing, dynamics etc. can definitely use work.

Falling - A VoiceActing S Falling - A VoiceActing S

Bad: Sounds like you are speaking too closely to the microphone without a pop filter. Getting some hard pops on the b's and p's and a bit of air noise on the h's and f's.

I don't personally like your accent and feel like you should work on either fake accents for 'goofy' voice work or the more 'plain' midwest accent used by US news...or the BBC British accent if you prefer (UK News).

Good: Solid signal to noise ratio and relatively complete recording; you seem to have good equipment and know how to use it. Interesting script.

My Complete Indie Game Tribute My Complete Indie Game Tribute

Very good Isomorphic perspective, but you still need to work on your shading. I know most the smaller characters on this piece have no shading (stylistically necessary since it wouldn't work at that tiny of a size)The giant eyeball (Lower left) is also very over-dithered. The VVVVVV guys don't look well grounded; more like they are floating near the bridge than standing on the bottom. World of Goo guys are probably the best here while same larger objects like the worm are under or incorrectly shaded (the worm's segments shouldn't be all shaded identically). Large areas of quiet pixels, for example on the killer toaster from Cave Story; comes out more like a line drawing than pixel art.

ScepterDPinoy responds:

I wouldn't want my art to be rushed but It was a mistake that I accidentally have time constraints. I should've added shadows on those people on the left side back in 2013 whoops. Anyways thank you for the constructive criticism.

SSMM Demake Game Pitch SSMM Demake Game Pitch

Done. Just:

It'd have to be not THAT red heavy for a CRT effect to work. [Part of what I do if I'm making a CRT effect is phosphor separation (putting red, green and blue channels into separate pixels like the pixels of one of the old monitors; which were isosceles triangles made up of these.)] Course, CRT effects aren't NECESSARY; but they help the retro feel. Also, scanline effects are going to want to be in code so they animate smoothly instead of being drawn in and looking artificial (like it would if this wasn't a still).

BUT, this would be relatively easy from a programming standpoint besides old television effects.

What's BBICOK mean anyways?

Mechanics are basically DODGE scrolling levels made up of elements; except (a) boss fight(s) where you actually have cannons?

Only negative thing I can say from a pixel art quality standpoint is that the word "PWNED" is a bit...jaggy. [Outlines don't line up well.]

ScepterDPinoy responds:

I used Perspective tool. My mistake.

The King of the Portals The King of the Portals

Bit of honest criticism:

The lake and ray beam having a similar (same?) shade of cyan is a bit confusing.

I like the anti-outline (brighter instead of darker) it's not something you see much.

The characters read relatively flat compared to the isometric environment. The chest of the AngryFaicKnight in particular appears more flat than volumectric and overall the two styles clash more than compliment each other. It's almost like a (very good) isometric war game; with characters from Street Fighter cut in without being blended well. It really is the shading on the characters that is my main issues with this piece though; I mean how is the cable on the CathodeRayBot's ray beam let from below? Some of it is literally trying to convey specularity (shininess) and volume with limited pixels; but it almost feels pillow-shaded in a few areas (the Knight's Shield and Breastplate; for example).

Overall; I like the concept and there's a lot strong in the background and composition of the piece; but the differing styles of the characters and the background collide a bit and the shading could use some work to make the characters feel less...flat.

ScepterDPinoy responds:

Why thanks for the constructive criticism you mentioned. Could it be a best choice that I should go deeper watching art tutorials on the internet rather than wasting money to apply at art class? Also I was aware that the Angry Face Knight looks kind of flat along with pillow shading of what you mentioned, a bane for some artists that left mistakes when posting.